Top 10 Questions to Consider When Choosing Your Cosmetic Surgeon
The Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center offers the best-in-class amenities of a hospital with the privacy of a surgery center. It is accredited by AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care), which sets surgery center standards. The Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center hosts national cosmetic seminars for plastic surgeons.
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown is a triple board-certified plastic surgeon who has received national attention and accolades for his cosmetic surgery. Patients appreciate his warm bedside manner and the kind and approachable nature of his staff. Mandell-Brown is a highly sought after speaker and teacher in the field of cosmetic surgery, both in the U.S. and internationally. He regularly hosts facial and body cosmetic surgery workshops at his surgery center, which draw cosmetic surgeons from the U.S. and as far away as Australia and England.
Recently, we spoke with Mandell-Brown to gain insight into important questions to consider when selecting a cosmetic surgeon.
Venue Magazine: Are you able to view examples of the doctor’s work?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: Not all surgeons are the same. Make sure you see the doctor’s own before and after examples.
Venue Magazine: Does the surgeon offer naturally appearing cosmetic surgery?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: The Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center is nationally known for our natural looking plastic surgery.
As an artist and perfectionist, I strive to achieve the patient’s goals to help them look better but not different.
Venue Magazine: Does the cosmetic center offer free consults?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: Typically, you get what you pay for. The doctors at the practices that offer free consults typically spend less than seven minutes with the patient. We spend 30-60 minutes reviewing the patient’s goals, educating them and explaining the procedure options so each patient truly understands the various options and has appropriate expectations.
My ultimate goal is to spend the needed time with patients to make sure they’re fully educated, whether or not they sign on for a procedure.
Venue Magazine: Is the cosmetic or plastic surgeon board-certified?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: With over 30 years of experience, I am the area’s only triple board-certified facial plastic and body cosmetic surgeon. I am board-certified in head and neck surgery, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and board-certified in general cosmetic surgery through the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.
Venue Magazine: Does the staff treat the patient with courtesy and compassion?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: My staff continually receives high marks on patient surveys on kindness, compassion and going the extra mile to care for the patient.
Venue Magazine: Does the plastic surgeon teach other doctors?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: I have been the director of breast augmentation workshops, mommy makeover workshops for other cosmetic surgeons and international workshops at Louisiana State University, University of San Diego School of Medicine and, most recently, in Las Vegas teaching face lifts, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, Brazilian butt lifts, tummy tucks and breast surgery. I also offer seminars at my facility, which has a seminar room with live video feed so other doctors can watch me perform surgery for training. I recently wrote a book chapter for plastic surgeons - part of a two volume instructional text for doctors.
Venue Magazine: Does the cosmetic surgeon utilize computer imaging?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: We utilize state-of-the-art imagery to show nose and eyelid surgery, as well as ear reshaping and face lifts. We work with patients to help ensure clear communication on their desired goals for surgery. Not all surgeons use computer technology.
Venue Magazine: Who performs anesthesia in the surgery center?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: At the Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center, we have certified and accredited anesthetists to perform general anesthesia and sedation anesthesia.
Venue Magazine: Is the surgery center near a major hospital?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: Our center is within a block of Bethesda North should a true emergency arise.
Venue Magazine: Does the plastic surgeon operate at their own accredited facility? Is it nationally certified by AAAHC?
Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown: Our facility is state licensed by the Ohio Department of Health and is also accredited by AAAHC. This ensures I have passed the highest standards of inspection to ensure safety for the patient. It also allows patients more privacy than a typical hospital.
Awards & Recognition
• In 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, Dr. Mandell-Brown was voted Top Doc for both Cosmetic Plastic Surgery and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery in poll of 5,000 Tri-State physicians conducted by Cincinnati Magazine
• Voted Best Plastic Surgeon – Rhinoplasty in a poll of 1,500 physicians by Cincinnati Magazine in November 2000.
• In 2007, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2018, a poll of 5,000 Tri-State physicians named Dr. Mandell-Brown Top Doctor – Breast Augmentation in Cincinnati Magazine
• The surgery center is licensed by the State of Ohio Department of Health and accredited by Medicare and AAAHC
• Named Top Doc in Plastic Surgery by Cincinnati Magazine, November 2003
• Named to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons, 2003
• Named a Top Plastic Surgeon by Plastic Surgery Practice Magazine, 2012 and 2013
• Webster Award for outstanding contributions to cosmetic surgery, January 2017
• Board Certified – American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 1991
• Board Certified – American Board of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery 1987
• Board Certified – American Board Of Cosmetic Surgery 2007
• Appointed to the Executive Board of Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
• Appointed Trustee to American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, 2012
• Appointed Treasurer to American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, 2018
• Appointed Chairman of American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship Program 2012-2016
• Appointed Trustee, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Foundation 2006-2010
• Appointed Treasurer, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Foundation 2007-2009
• President, Clermont Medical Society 2003 to 2005
• Executive Board Secretary Cincinnati Academy of Medicine 1997 to 1998
• Appointed as an AAAHC surveyor since 2003 – Dr. Mandell-Brown helps certify surgery centers
State of the Art Facility
The Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center is located on Montgomery Road near I-275 in northeast Cincinnati, also near Dayton and Northern Kentucky. Dr. Mark Mandell-Brown spent three years planning and developing a state-of-the art plastic surgery center. Located near the Bethesda North Medical Complex in Cincinnati, Ohio, the Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center offers cosmetic patients privacy with all the amenities of a hospital-like setting. No other plastic surgery facility in the Tri-State has the class, privacy and proximity to a major hospital.
The Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center was honored to receive the prestigious Beautification Award in 2002 and 2008 from the City of Montgomery. This award honors the building and landscape that most enhances the city. The attention to detail and beauty in the facility mirrors the attention that Mandell-Brown has toward his patients.
In our consultation room, we have computer imaging to help demonstrate cosmetic goals. The consultation room is cozy and comfortable, to help you feel relaxed during your consultation. The doctors and staff spend time to answer your questions and concerns.
The center offers the latest in laser treatment for brown skin spots, red spots, laser hair removal, permanent makeup, waxing, photo facials and non-surgical fat melting and skin tightening and
A seminar room is available, which seats up to 50 people. Cosmetic seminars and health related lectures are held on a regular basis. If your friends, church group or social group is interested, private seminars can be arranged through Tonya Mains, nursing director, at 513.984.4700.
Mandell-Brown Plastic Surgery Center is located at 10735 Montgomery Road, Montgomery, OH 45242. For more information, call 513.984.4700 or visit www.mandellbrown.com.