Building Innovation and Community
Photography provided by Lakota Local Schools
At Lakota Local Schools, things are changing, including initiatives like the further involvement of S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) labs and providing Chromebooks as an additional tool for junior school students.
“We have a lot of new initiatives that are starting in the fall for our K-6 students,” says Betsy Fuller, director of school and community relations. “We will have six rotating daily specials, including a S.T.E.A.M. lab experience. For our high school, we are re-imagining the high school student experience – how can we improve it? How can we make it better so that our kids are prepared for the day that they cross the graduation stage?”
“There’s a lot of change involved to make these programs and these experiences possible for kids,” says Lauren Boettcher, manager of school and community relations. When asked what type of community Lakota wants to build, Boettcher points to the school’s diversity and acceptance.
“We’re an increasingly diverse district, and we have a lot of programs in place that we continue to lean on for inclusion, acceptance and understanding of different cultures and different backgrounds. We want families that are open to that.”
“We want an engaged community, parents who are engaged in their children’s learning, with their school, with the classroom, because it’s a partnership between school and home,” says Fuller. “We believe that a great education is student-centered, and that’s always our goal. The students are always at the heart of everything that we decide to do.”
Quick Facts about Lakota Local Schools
- With 16,500 students and 23 schools, Lakota serves the communities of West Chester and Liberty townships and is the largest suburban public school district in southwest Ohio.
- Strong finances and a positive financial outlook that predicts a balanced budget for at least the next five years.
- One of just 93 districts nationwide to be accepted into the League of Innovative Schools, a national coalition of forward-thinking school districts with the mission to accelerate innovation in education through technology and research.
- Innovative spaces for collaboration and hands-on learning, including a STEAM or Wonder lab in every early childhood and elementary school.
- Lakota’s Career Readiness Academy is a unique alternative program, offering students the opportunity to earn their high school diploma in a smaller, more flexible environment that combines online learning with one-on-one instruction.
- All-day kindergarten program available to every early learner.
- 34 Advanced Placement or Honors course options.
- With 30 percent of students celebrating their multicultural backgrounds, Lakota offers a culturally-diverse experience where respect and inclusion are taught as core values.
- A deep commitment to community and parent engagement, including a new CommUnity University through which staff share their expertise and view parents and community members as partners in the educational process.
- A staff that contributed more than $45,000 to local causes last year, modeling the way for the lessons of community service and philanthropy that are so centric to a Lakota education.
Lakota Local School District is located at 5572 Princeton Road, Liberty Township, OH 45011. For more information, call 513.874.5505, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit lakotaonline.com.